Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

"These Are Days", 10,000 Maniacs

As I explained last Sunday, this new Friday edition "will highlight a particular piece of mass media or popular culture as an expression of Divine Love." Art has always been a way for human beings to express our spiritual experience; modern art is no different. I have long found God in songs, movies, and TV shows. I used a variety of them as a daily curricular element in the religion course I taught. Through these posts, I intend to share them and many other works that speak to me in some way.

For the inaugural Friday post, I selected "These Are Days" by 10,000 Maniacs. This has been a special song to me since college. As I struggled with my vocation, and the challenges it presented to relationships, the lyrics reminded me of who I am and what I see. They still do. And if I had to select a personal theme song, this would be it:
These are days you’ll remember. Never before and never since, I promise, will the whole world be warm as this. And as you feel it, you’ll know it’s true that you are blessed and lucky. It’s true that you are touched by something that will grow and bloom in you ...
These days you might feel a shaft of light make its way across your face. And when you do you’ll know how it was meant to be ... Hear the signs and know they’re speaking to you, to you.
Check out this song on YouTube or Amazon.